Tuesday, January 18, 2011

love 'em or hate 'em.

New Year’s Resolutions.  Either you love them or hate them. For some reason, they’ve become really important to me in the last few years.  I always want to live my life with purpose and intention- like I’m living for Someone or something greater than little me.  Creating big goals at the beginning of every year is a way for me sit down and ponder and pray about what I am want my life to look like over the next year- how am I going to spend my time? who am I going to spend it with? I'm in a very different place today than I was one year ago: figuring out who I am, why I'm here, and what do I want my life to really look like, so resolutions were a little tough this year, but since I love them,  here’s what I dream my 2011 will look like:

+Run another half marathon (and maybe a full one).
I really want to run a marathon this year. Really.  I know my body can do it. I know my brain can do it. I know my emotions can do it.  But I don’t know if my schedule can do it.  Can I really commit to running for  4 hours every Saturday morning for three months? I don’t know yet. If I put it on paper, then I have to do it. And I still haven’t decided, so I’m just going to commit to another half.  Who’s in?

+Stay committed to my small group. 
Last year, I found a small group.  As my schedule got fuller and fuller, I was more and more tempted to quit going to my small group.  But I desire the accountability and community that a small group can provide and I’m praying earnestly that the group will be not necessarily what I want, but what I NEED this year.  

+Backpack in Yosemite.
Try backpacking: Check. Backpack with the girls: Check. Get my own pack for Christmas: Check.  Who’s ready to take on bear country with me this summer?!?

+Find new ways to worship.
Go to Mass.  Take communion in the privacy of my bedroom. Look for glimpses of Jesus at work. Skip church sometimes and be church in the world.  

+Post on my blog once a week.
It doesn’t have to be profound. It can be a quote, a picture, a prayer. It can be anything, but it must be once a week. I want the world to know that I'm still living and breathing.  Or actually, I just want to be challenged to write more.
+Rest.
And find out what rest means for me in this crazy chaotic world.  
+Buy a bouquet of fresh flowers once a month.  
Put them in my bedroom, on my desk at work, give them to a friend.  It doesn’t matter. I just want to invest in beauty.

1 comment:

  1. This is the second year I've been inspired by your new year goals! Thx for sharing! --cori

    ReplyDelete